Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pre-Departure

Just a few days before I head off to Australia to study marine biology and terrestrial ecology.  I am looking forward to an extended quarter full of coral reefs, rainforests, taking classes, meeting new people, and exploring Brisbane.  I won't be in the correct part of the country to see any leafy sea dragons, but I'm sure I will see plenty of other wonderful creatures on my snorkeling and hiking expeditions.  It will also be interesting to see whether I can survive as a vegetarian in a place with a very meat-based cuisine.

To allay your fears: yes, I plan to avoid Australia's many, many venomous and dangerous creatures.  I am also freshly prepared with self defense skills and six months of swim classes.

I don't know how often I will post updates on this blog, as I will be spending a good deal of time living in field stations without internet access, but I will try to do so relatively frequently.  You are (of course) under no obligation to read anything I post; this is simply a good way for me to update friends and family in the short amounts of time during which I will have internet access.

A little request: If you happen to know of any good places to do social dancing (of any form) in Brisbane, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read about your adventures!! You will love Australia so much so you won't want to leave. I fell in love with Australia. Happy Travels!!! XO!

    ReplyDelete